Skip to content
January 25, 2013 / Baca

VCR Street Smarts #2, Dialing In Your Grind Setting for V60

The Street Smarts video series will be geared towards answering any coffee educational questions we receive through social media. Videos may be simple Q&A or full blown tutorials depending on the topic. If you have a question hit us up on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram and we’ll try to get some info to you.

This video was requested in response to our “Getting Started with Home Brewing” video and addresses how to determine your grind setting for a single serve Hario V60. I’m sure we’ll dive into particle size again sometime in the future but this should set you off on the right foot. To watch any of the other Street Smarts series click here: Street Smarts.

About these ads

6 Comments

1. Rozell / Jan 25 2013 11:36 pm

That was a SOLID video. Nice work.

2. Patrick / Jan 29 2013 3:18 pm

I think your points are sound, but would argue that you are misusing the word “extraction.” Maybe flow rate or percolation would be better. I know what you mean, but by using the word incorrectly you are actually implying the opposite of what is true. A course grind may cause the v60 to drain more quickly, but as you point out, it is under extracted, which means that it extracts more slowly– less is extracted in the same amount of time compared to an overly fine grind. Obviously you are trying to simplify what is going on for folks that don’t know what’s happening, but from a chemistry standpoint, extraction is the act of solids going into a solution, not simply a solvent passing over a coffee bed very quickly.

• Baca / Jan 29 2013 5:36 pm

Good comment Patrick. In this video, by extraction I was referring to total extraction time rather than the rate of solids being pulled from the coffee bed into the brewed mass. You are correct in saying the coarser the grind particle size, the slower the rate of actual extraction. But as you pointed out, coffee extraction from a chemistry standpoint is a bit more advanced than what I covered in this video. Thanks for watching! -Baca

3. Macallie Atkinson / Feb 14 2013 5:25 am

Nice! So, would I be close to being correct in saying that the BeeHouse would brew best with a grind profile similar to, if not just very slightly courser than this? I use the BeeHouse most often, then the Chemex. Thanks Baca!

• Baca / Feb 14 2013 7:57 pm

You’re right on with that assessment Mac!

4. John / Aug 31 2013 12:35 pm

I think the answer will be “it depends,” but I’ll ask anyway. I’m using a Baratza Encore as seen in this video with a V60 and home roasted coffee. I find my grind setting for 56g of coffee and 946g water (1.75g/fluid oz) to be 22 on the Encore. Does this seem too course based on your experience? I am using a tea kettle to pour over, which is less than ideal because it generates more velocity than a Bonavita kettle. I take it off the burner when it whistles and I start pouring once the water stops audibly boiling in the kettle; I don’t know the exact temperature of the water but I follow the same temperature procedure every time. I have a Bonavita BV1600 coming in the mail which will reduce this temperature consistency issue (and take some labor out of my morning ritual). Thanks for this nice intro to grind setting video.